Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Again



Perhaps more than ever the time has arrived for more inserts and posts to some of the original blogs that were written.

I have been derelict in continuing to communicate on a blog, especially regarding the ability of voice dictation software and its evolution. Using a later version only dictates a more responsibility -- both for the company and for the client. Its capabilities are unlimited -- well of course, that's an overstatement. Everything has its limitations and the wisdom is to know how to work within those limitations and to go beyond them.

Using a laptop is a different story. It gives more portability and capability but it also means that to some degree one might not have all of the oomph and power that is found in a powerful computer of the desktop variety.

I want to knock off a post very quickly because I want to be able to have this posted and be able to think of myself as sitting in a relaxed lounging chair if necessary, and being able to dictate a message, in the future.

Health. Health. Health necessities have taken their toll on my being and are now making me adjust towards their reality. Therefore I have to have a dictation capability and be able to use it wisely and often. I need to be able to get my word out and my message out without having to do much gyration and unnecessary movement. Which means the laptop has to be able to work for me. Well, the advantage here of this specific laptop -- though it is three years old -- is its 2.6 MHz Pentium 4 chip, and it is three quarters of the gigabyte RAM. Using windows XP, it leaves a lot available both for Dragon and for Microsoft's Word. And that is a very big advantage.

A word on Windows Vista. What for? What were they thinking when they released that operating system? Did they actually think or see in it some form of quantum leap from windows XP? I -- and many others don't seem to think so. All I noticed, when Windows Vista was installed was that it made the entire computer sluggish and added very little -- some very minimal eye candy was all I noticed.

I don't need a new operating system. I'm very happy with what I have and I think it can do just fine.

Using that, I see that I'm using about 450 MB of RAM and CPU usage someplace between 40 to 60%.

I think there is a time when hardware especially, reaches a certain plateau. You have sufficiently enough for what you need, and your purposes do not continue to grow exponentially. We are not all into 3-D computer games that are meant to be more more realistic until the entire house bursts with your computer fantasies.

I'd like to say I'm happy with what I have. I hope this will be just fine, because I think and know that I will need to use this more often.

Life throws curveball's. We have to be out there to catch them and toss them back. And then we need to hit a few home runs. Or at least a few singles and doubles, and run the bases, run the bases, and don't stop don't stop -- until you make a home run.

Necessity is the mother of invention. We need it -- hence we do it. We will win. The struggle is too great the price is too steep to lose.

No comments: