Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Trouble With Mike



I want to dictate a blog now and give you my impression of the a GN 5035 microphone. Here's what I have found, when using a USB microphone. This is something very unique about going directly digitally, to the system and not necessarily having to go through the soundcard. The theory being that the soundcard is going to produce, or conduct some degree of static or noise from the general system -- electronic noise. Consequently, if you can bypass the soundcard and go directly to the system -- via a USB port -- then you have lucked out and your broadcasts will be clearer. Hence, your usage of such a mic for dictation purposes would be ideal.

Now let me give you my reality check. Using this rather recommended USB microphone, I am not getting readings that are higher than they "20" on Dragon's meter. So I don't see any great value in this microphone.

The other thing, but I've found is that it pinches on the ears. It isn't built -- well or doesn't give enough flexibility for the user to enlarge the and wrapping around the head. So it's not that comfortable too.

The next thing that I have found really perturbs me. Without the soundcard I no longer have the flexibility to transfer the listener from microphone to "what you hear," i.e. Played a wave files or other sounds truly headset or consequently to the listener via a communication program such as Skype.

Running an online school, and at times a radio program, without that feature I have a very limited microphone. And that doesn't give me the ability to play all of the different sounds and music that I perhaps would want to under the circumstances.

Now the question is can I return this item that I purchase through Amazon. True, the price was not bad but the difficulty with the item does not make it worth its while. And this is very frustrating.

So I check of Amazon's website and I find out that they have all kinds of sliding scales of returns, when you have already opened an item. But when do people have a problem if not after they've already opened the item?

No comments: