Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Position the microphone


The way you position the microphone.

The way you position the microphone has to make a very big difference in the ability of dictation software to hear you clearly, and to collect your words properly.

But that all his raises a problem for me. I have several different microphones, some are standalone, others are connected to headphones. Of the headphone variety I also have two. One is very short in the microphone ends up someplace in the middle of my cheek. The other, on the contrary, it is quite long and keeps on pushing against my chin. I'm sure that the vibrations of my chin against the microphone can't be of much value when my words are trying to be transcribed properly.

So the only alternative I have, and I'm looking into, is taking the long microphone wearing the headphones around my neck rather than on light years, and standing the microphone upwards towards my mouth. I think if I speak loud enough, and especially not to directly to the mic so that it doesn't get the feedback pop, it should be able to pick up my dictation well and clear.

My doctor friend, who uses the software in his profession, went down and bought himself a $300 microphone. It has a little slice on all switch on top of it. He says that helps for him to say something and pause, and not to be afraid that a little word here and there will be inserted. While I do admire the accuracy of the $300 microphone, I question its necessity.

I am using rather inexpensive microphones each of them with the headphones cost any place between $10-$15. So far, I believe they give me close to a 98% accuracy rate. Is there really a 2% gain that is worth me going and getting a 300 on microphone? Or to paraphrase that, if I'm getting 98% accuracy, my doctor friend is getting 99% accuracy. At the end of the day, he too has to scan his paragraphs to make sure that ‘the and that’ were not confuse with each other.

So we are talking about at most, a 1% differential. And when scanning One’s paragraph There's always that need to do a few corrections in their, does the one person really make much of the difference?

Now, as I've stated before -- by and large I do not plan to make corrections in the dictated paragraphs in his blog. This is meant to be, and it is random ramblings. For better or for worse. There are some mistakes that will occur because the microphone did not hear me clearly, or I did not enunciate and speak clear enough. But what I have found is that no matter how hard I try or don't try, some mistakes are simply inherent in the software. I can give you some examples of synonyms that will get mixed up here, but there is no need to do so. A you probably see it as you read this.

But yet, the bulk of the text here I am convinced, remains not only readable but also understandable. And that is a pleasure. Because my eyes are closed, my arms are folded, I'm simply talking into the microphone, and at the end of the day the end of the sheet, there's a whole page or two or three typed up.

And, by the way. There is a definite advantage to simply rambling with the microphone. The advantage is that the more you talk and save those files at the end of each session, the more the program adapts itself to you and the greater the accuracy is increased.

So I'm having a very good time. Enjoying it more and more. And you, the reader are probably -- nonexistent.

No comments: